The ECECD relies on the generosity of many individuals, organizations, community leaders and companies to support our mission.
About the Empowering Center
EMPOWERING CENTER FOR EMPLOYMENT AND CAREER DEVELOPMENT(ECECD) is a non-profit organization focused on education, empowerment, development and employment. Our first initiative, Building for the Future Academy, is an alternative, non-public school offering students a true alternative. The program focuses on students who have the motivation to increase their skills to become self-sufficient through academic remediation and career development.
Our mission is to maximize each student’s potential to learn and make a positive contribution to our world. Through this mission, we create better citizens who are self-sufficient, lifelong learners and good neighbors. We foster a positive environment for learning by giving our students the opportunity and the skills to be successful academically, socially and emotionally.
Building For The Future Academy (BFTFA)
We recognize that many students have been unsuccessful in a traditional high school setting due to a lack of options for those who may learn differently or simply are not motivated by a standard school curriculum. These are students who are under-credited or simply lack the preparedness to move to the next level. BUILDING FOR THE FUTURE ACADEMY provides intensive functional remediation in academic areas as it relates to success in the workplace. The main goal is for students to achieve their post-secondary goals of job training, employment, and independent living. BUILDING FOR THE FUTURE ACADEMY provides alternative programs focused on providing Adult Basic Education (ABE), access to National External Diploma Program (NEDP), Employment Readiness and Vocational and Life Skills training. We hold our students accountable in an environment where they are continually monitored and assessed to ensure development, a sense of accomplishment and an alliance with their career goals. Students are introduced to a variety of career opportunities through internships, job placement and other vocational prospects.
Our Educational curriculum incorporates:
- Access to a high school diploma via BFTFA partner, Living Wages
- Pre- and post-assessments
- Clear cut assessments for students to achieve employment goals
- Technology-enhanced and data-driven instructional programming
- Parent/community involvement
- Seamless school-to-work connections
- Transition planning for workforce or post-secondary education
- Individualized direct instruction
- Project-based, hands-on experiences
- CASAS (Comprehensive Adult Student Assessment System) competencies guiding instruction for employment and life skills
- Life skills and remediation taught utilizing technology
- Hands-on internships
- Access to job placement and employment opportunities
Workforce Board of Directors
Union Town Bar and Grill – Natasha Datcher – Owner
Crank Family Fitness – Charles Cranke – Owner
Harris Teeter Grocer – Duane Insteep – District Manager
CCDC – Robert Jackson – Site Supervisor
Health Write Training Academy-Zerita Hudson- Owner
Best Buy -Paul Clymer – HR Director
The DC Divas -Rich Daniel- General Manager